Riding my favorite Austin trail in Thursday (Walnut Creek), I stopped to get a picture of the "Wall Ride". Kind of a unique section. There's a mild decent near the creek followed by this left swooping turn. When approaching the wall it a can be a little intimidating, but with speed and commitment, it's a pretty easy move. If one stopped at this section and watched different riders negotiate the wall it would quickly become clear the riders that have trouble with it, struggle because of their lack of commitment. Even very novice riders can experience this wall from the top, but they have to initiate their turn fully committed to pedal it all the way through. I think there is a life lesson here. We find ourselves struggling with decisions and goals often. Is it due to our lack of commitment to take our stance to its logical end? Sometimes, I think we avoid commitment because we know the logical end will somehow break consistency with the rest of our world-view then we might be challenged to change. The best quote to support this line of thought is, "everything in moderation,". I think moderation is a weak world-view. If it's beneficial, then why not more, if it's destructive, then why not less?
Saturday, January 2, 2010
Commited to...
Riding my favorite Austin trail in Thursday (Walnut Creek), I stopped to get a picture of the "Wall Ride". Kind of a unique section. There's a mild decent near the creek followed by this left swooping turn. When approaching the wall it a can be a little intimidating, but with speed and commitment, it's a pretty easy move. If one stopped at this section and watched different riders negotiate the wall it would quickly become clear the riders that have trouble with it, struggle because of their lack of commitment. Even very novice riders can experience this wall from the top, but they have to initiate their turn fully committed to pedal it all the way through. I think there is a life lesson here. We find ourselves struggling with decisions and goals often. Is it due to our lack of commitment to take our stance to its logical end? Sometimes, I think we avoid commitment because we know the logical end will somehow break consistency with the rest of our world-view then we might be challenged to change. The best quote to support this line of thought is, "everything in moderation,". I think moderation is a weak world-view. If it's beneficial, then why not more, if it's destructive, then why not less?

No comments:
Post a Comment